- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp fast rise yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 4+ cup flour
- 1/2 tbsp salt
Ingredients: for boiling
- 3 quarts water
- ⅓ cup baking soda
- Oil or melted vegan butter
- Pretzel salt
Ingredients: cheese sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shreds
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- paprika, for topping (optional)
- Whisk together warm water, sugar and yeast. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to activate.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together 4 cups of flour and salt.
- Add the melted vegan butter and yeast mixture (once activated) to the flour. Mix until a ball forms, then knead for 5-7 minutes, by hand or using a stand mixer with the hook attachment. Add flour, as necessary, so that the dough does not feel too sticky (it should still be a soft dough).
- Lightly oil a bowl. Form the dough into a ball, place it into the bowl and roll it around to cover in oil.
- Place a wet towel over the bowl. Let sit for one hour (ball should approximately double in size).
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 425°F and prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough to a large rectangle that is ~1/2 inch thick. Cut into ~3/4″ x 1″ pieces.
- Boil the 3 quarts of water in a large pot. Once it’s boiling, carefully add the baking soda (the water will rise quickly, so do this slowly and carefully).
- In small batches, add the pretzel bites to the boiling water. Boil for ~1 minute, then flip over and boil for another minute. Remove and place on prepared baking sheet. Continue until all the pieces have been boiled.
- Brush each with melted vegan butter or oil and top with pretzel salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until golden-brown.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in the flour and whisk until fully mixed.
- Pour in the milk and whisk until there are no clumps. Mix in the garlic powder and salt.
- Whisk in the cheese until fully combined. Finally, whisk in the vegetable broth until creamy.
- Top with paprika, if desired. Enjoy by dipping warm pretzels into the sauce!