These smashed potatoes will be a hit in your household.
I modified a recipe from the Sunday New York Times, reducing the fat by frying these in a nonstick pan with just a little oil instead of in a 10-inch skillet half filled with oil. I also left out the eggs.
Buy small organic new red potatoes no bigger than about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. The NYT recipe also suggested peeling the potatoes, but I think the skins are fine to eat. They help hold the potatoes together when you smash them. These made me smile.
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 cloves garlic
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Large pinch crushed red chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola or safflower oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with a couple layers of paper towel.
- In a large pot of water, add the potatoes, 1 sprig of rosemary, and 2 peeled cloves of garlic. Bring to a boil then simmer until the potatoes are just fork tender, about 20 minutes but check at 15. Drain the potatoes discarding the rosemary and garlic.
- When the potatoes have cooled a bit, smash them gently with the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass so they flatten a bit. The skin will break here and there but they will pretty much hold together.
- To make the vinaigrette, strip the rosemary from the remaining sprig and mince it. Mince the third garlic clove.
- In a small bowl, add minced rosemary and garlic with the lemon zest, juice, and crushed red chili.
- Whisk in the olive oil then season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the canola or safflower oil.
- “Fry” the potatoes until brown on both sides. Layer on the baking sheet and keep warm until you are ready to serve.
- When ready, drizzle with the vinaigrette and serve.
Nutrition information (per serving)
- Calories: 180
- Total fat: 9 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 7 mg
- Total carbohydrate: 21 g
- Dietary fiber: 1 g
- Total sugars: 0 g
- Protein: 3 g
Note: Nutrition information does not include added salt.